Thursday, July 2, 2009

More river camping

In diverting from any post of established bike route I have to do a lot of guessing about what roads are going to be safe and nice to ride on. Also there are lots of roads in South Carolina that on my map have state highway numbers but in the real world aren't signed with or called by those numbers. This leads to a lot of wandering around hoping that I am on the right road but lots of times I get somewhere which is five miles from where I thought I was going. Other than getting lost a few times today I went through Florence, SC and now I am camping by the river near Society Hill, SC. From here the route to Chapel Hill seems pretty straightforward unless I run into more phantom roads. When I am making up my route as I go along it is especially nice to see these 'bike route' signs as they let me know that I have made a somewhat good choice. Today at the library in Society Hill I met Joan, Kevin and Angel who were all very nice. Kevin said that he helped establish these routes!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, I'm Angel! I think it's so awesome that you got to NY. I also read about your job in the bookstore. You are a inspiration!!!