Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thanksgiving Pie Experiment

A couple days before Thanksgiving I saw some Persimmons in one of the grocery stores across Queens Blvd near the library. I had been trying to think of something interesting to make to bring to the potluck Thanksgiving that Lesley and I were going to go to at our friend Maggie's house.

I went home and investigated Persimmon pie and it turns out that the internet recipe community is pretty split between two versions. The first I call "Pumpkin Pie Style" where the persimmons are pureed, the filling has milk and eggs in it, and there is no top crust. The second, "Apple Pie Style" uses sliced persimmon, sugar, corn starch and lemon juice in the filling.

I decided to make a Pumpkin Pie Style Persimmon Pie for the "Wendsgiving" dinner I was going to at my friend Brendan and Jennette's house and an Apple Pie Style Persimmon Pie for real Thanksgiving at Maggie's house because I could make that one vegan.

Both turned out great although I didn't end up with enough filling for the Apple Style Pie (I used 4 persimmons for each pie but I should have used more for that one).

0 comments: