Thursday, November 26, 2009

Gluten Free, Soy Free, Corn Free, Vegan Apple Pie

I'm going to thanksgiving with my friend who recently found out that a gluten allergy had triggered a number of other allergies and so she is basically allergic to everything. Soo, I decided to try to make a pie that she could eat. The crust recipe was loosely based on this one but I had to add a few restrictions. The biggest hurdle was actually the butter/shortening substitute since most "vegetable oil" and vegan butter substitutes are just soybean oil (even Vegan, Soy Free Earth Balance contains "Natural Flavors (derived from corn).



Pie Crust Recipe:

2 cups rice flour
1 cup potato starch
1 cup plantain flour
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 apple cider vinegar
1 mashed banana
1/2 cup pure creamed coconut
1/2 cup olive oil
ice water as needed


Before starting with the dry ingredients I needed to turn the olive oil and coconut oil into something resembling butter. I chopped up the coconut into small pieces and blended it with the olive oil until it became a milkshake like liquid. Then I put it in the freezer for about half an hour and . . . butter substitute! I combined all of the dry ingredients (flours, sugar, salt, cinnamon) and mixed them in a bowl, then added the banana (egg substitute) and vinegar, then I added small chunks of the coconut/olive oil mixture and cut the dough with knives until the coconut/oil was in pea sized pieces. Next I added the water a little bit at a time until it was a nice consistency (just like a normal pie!).

Rolling out the dough was kind of a mess since it didn't hold together very well but I was able to get it into the pie tin without it falling apart too much by rolling it out on plastic wrap and then putting it between that and a cutting board and flipping it into the tin. I made a lattice for the top crust which turned out delightfully sloppy.

For the filling I filled the crust with sliced apples and poured a mixture of olive oil, sugar and a little bit of water over it. I probably should have added a little bit of potato starch which I was going to do but then forgot.

I baked the pie at 425 for 10 minutes and then turned it down to 350 for 50 more minutes, about halfway through the baking when I checked it I realized that there was a lot of liquid sitting inside (probably not forgetting to add some kind of starch to the filling would have helped this) so I carefully poured out some of the liquid.

I haven't tried it yet but it looks great and the pieces of the crust I broke off tasted great!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was delicious! I'm going to make it for every holiday now!